Carbon Fast for Lent: Week 5 (Sunday, April 2)
Read: Micah 6:8
- Keep your car running as efficiently as possible by unloading extra weight, keeping the tires at the correct air pressure and performing regular maintenance on it.
- Drive sensibly and avoid rapid braking or acceleration. Drive at the speed limit. You can improve your gas consumption by 10-15% by reducing your speed from 105 km/h to 90 km/h.
- Make at least one of your journeys more environmentally friendly this week. Could you combine two trips? Carpool rather than driving solo? Walk, or take public transit instead of driving. Can you find a more environmentally friendly way to get to church this week?
- Avoid using the car entirely for destinations within easy walking, bicycling, or public transit distance.
- Planning to travel? Consider getting there without flying. If possible choose a destination accessible by train or bus.
- Take part in “Give It Up for the Earth!” – a faith-in-action campaign organized by Citizens for Public Justice. See details in the Parish hall, or visit cpj.ca/for-the-earth.
God of All Life, we give thanks for Earth, our common home, and ask forgiveness for all the unreasonable demands we have made on it. As our Earth, its many peoples, its oceans, wild life and ecosystems are struggling to survive. Help us to change our ways and guide us to live a life which is not centred on ourselves, but on all you have created. We ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.*
*Sr. Marlene Kelly, GSIC. Citizens for Public Justice, Faithful Climate Action Worship Resources. Reprinted with permission.